Pages

3 October 2016

When someone told me I live in a fantasy land I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Last month someone said to me that God doesn't exist and that I'm living in and preaching about a fantasy world. I nearly fell off my unicorn. 

The thing that really annoyed me about that conversation was that the person who accused me was just re-iterating what he had heard from other people and had not thought about the ideas for himself.

A few days ago I was talking to a born again Christian about the idea of marriage equality. We disagreed on the idea (and that's fine) but the thing that really annoyed me about that conversation was that the person with whom I was taking was just re-iterating what she had heard from other people and had not thought about the ideas for herself.

I have said many times I do not mind what people believe about faith (among other things) as long as they have thought about why they believe what they think. A lot of my friends are not Christians but we have great discussions about faith because they have thought about why they do not believe. It is a conscious choice for them not to believe as it is also a conscious choice for me to believe.

Some may think I do live in a fantasy world where God makes rainbows and bunnies and I ride a unicorn but do not condemn me for that if you haven't thought why you live in a world where God does not exist. 

I believe what I believe because I have thought about it, studied it and have come to decision that God exists and Jesus is his son. Do you have to agree with me? No, you don't but if you're going to challenge me at least think about why you believe what you do. Don't just tell me I'm living in la-la land or I'll get my unicorn to stab you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation with kindness.